Digital IP-Appliance Design Process
The Problems with Custom, One-Time Engineered Cloud Data Centers
The industry landscape, dominated by the competing interests of locked OEM giants meant that standardization and its inherent benefits could never materialize and therefore complex, custom engineered outcomes became the norm.
In the absence of such standards, commercial and internal-IT service providers will only continue their down disparate paths of ad-hock, one-time engineered investments, which will, in total, cost their internal customers (business) as well as their external customers (for cloud providers) significantly more than a coordinated to working to a set of standards that are of best practices.
Data center projects fail due to:
- Hardware-Lock-Ins - by proprietary OEM vendors means at a time of an HDD SSD or NVMe upgrade you are locked in and have nowhere else to go
- Software-Lock-Ins - by proprietary OEM vendors means that its impossible to repurpose the appliance be it a server or switch
- Non-interoperability - once infrastructure sub-systems are locked down by OEM vendors they become non-interoperable by design
- Complexity - data center projects are inherently complex and proprietary lock-ins unnecessarily add to the complexity. Even when all sub-systems are made to function, the one-time engineering off the system whole means that its never optimised. Similarly, retaining skilled staff necessary to operate the various 3rd party sub-systems throughout the system whole's lifecycle is also very difficult to do.
- Project: Risk Time & Cost
The IP-Appliance Design Process eliminates or at least mitigates all of the above problems & challenges in cloud datacenters
Digital IP Appliance Design Process
Hyperscalers has developed a Digital- IP-Appliance Design Process along with a utility, being the Appliance Optimizer Utility, which together, assist to productize IT-appliances for Digital-IP owners needing to hyperscale their services very quickly, reliably and at a fraction of traditional costs.
Appliance Optimizer Utility AOU
Automates the discovery of appliance bottlenecks by pinging all layers in the stack. A live dashboard unifies all key performance characteristics to provide a head to head performance assessment between all data-path layers in the appliance as well as a comparison between holistic appliances too.